|M.Sc. Aksel Alpay|
Phone: +49 6221 54 14509
Office address/Post address
Engineering Mathematics and Computing Lab (EMCL)
In 2015 I have obtained a bachelor's degree in physics, followed in 2018 by a master's degree in physics with specialization on computational astrophysics (both from Heidelberg University). During my studies, I have designed and developed teralens, an OpenCL-based tree code for gravitational quasar microlensing, which, to this day, is the fastest known code in its field.
Afterwards, I increasingly focused on developing tools for HPC, and most notably created hipSYCL. hipSYCL is one of the four major SYCL implementations in use today, and the very first SYCL implementation to pioneer an interpretation of SYCL without OpenCL. In late 2018, I joined Heidelberg University Computing Centre's HPC team and EMCL.
Since 2019, I am a member of the Khronos SYCL working group.
- High performance computing
- Heterogeneous computing, GPU computing
- Parallel programming models, compilers and runtime systems
- Supervisor of the Heidelberg University team for the ISC19 Student Cluster Competition
- Supervisor of the Heidelberg University team for the ISC20 Student Cluster Competition
- Advanced Practical "Accelerating applications using BLAS libraries with unified memory on GPUs"
- Rod Burns, Gordon Brown, Ronan Keryell, Aksel Alpay and Igor Vorobstov. 2020. Tutorial: A Hands-On Introduction to SYCL and Application Development with SYCL. International Workshop on OpenCL (IWOCL '20). (watch tutorial on YouTube. Note: YouTube seems to have mixed up the original order of the videos in the playlist)
- Sohan Lal, Aksel Alpay, Philip Salzmann, Biagio Cosenza, Alexander Hirsch, Nicolai Stawinoga, Peter Thoman, Thomas Fahringer, Vincent Heuveline. 2020. SYCL-Bench: A Versatile Cross-Platform Benchmark Suite for Heterogeneous Computing. In: Malawski M., Rzadca K. (eds) Euro-Par 2020: Parallel Processing. Euro-Par 2020. Lecture Notes in Computer Science, vol 12247. Springer, Cham. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-57675-2_39
Conference Contributions and Talks
Aksel Alpay and Vincent Heuveline. 2020. SYCL beyond OpenCL: The architecture, current state and future direction of hipSYCL. In Proceedings of the International Workshop on OpenCL (IWOCL '20). Association for Computing Machinery, New York, NY, USA, Article 8, 1. DOI:https://doi.org/10.1145/3388333.3388658 (watch recording on YouTube)
Sohan Lal, Aksel Alpay, Philip Salzmann, Biagio Cosenza, Nicolai Stawinoga, Peter Thoman, Thomas Fahringer, and Vincent Heuveline. 2020. SYCL-Bench: A Versatile Single-Source Benchmark Suite for Heterogeneous Computing. In Proceedings of the International Workshop on OpenCL (IWOCL '20). Association for Computing Machinery, New York, NY, USA, Article 10, 1. DOI:https://doi.org/10.1145/3388333.3388669 (watch recording on YouTube)